Saturday, August 12, 2017

Bowser Red Barn Finally on the M & M Sub.


















Finally! My SD40-2F Red Barn from Bowser is on the layout and racking up miles.

The unit arrived a week ago, while I was out of town. It had its first run two days ago.

Like my other Bowser SD40-2 units, it looks great and runs like a dream.

A great looking and great running Red Barn has been on my wish list for years.

Until now, the only way to get this model was to buy brass, kitbash or use the old Associated Model Makers (AMM) resin kit.

I’ve actually had an AMM Red Barn for about 15 years. I bought it used from a local hobby shop.

The Bowser unit (l) next to the old AMM unit.















It’s a crude effort (someone called it a “bar of soap”), and apparently very hard to work with.

My model is on an Athearn Blue Box chassis. It runs OK. Considering the lack of alternatives, it was great for its time.

So when Bowser announced its Red Barn models, I was ecstatic. And now I finally have one!

With the addition of the Red Barn, I can’t think of any more locomotives that the M & M Sub. would need.



















Of course, there’s always the GP9u chop nose that Bowser plans to bring out . . . yes, I could always appreciate one of those.

Click here to read more about the history of  this unique unit.


No comments:

Post a Comment